[Gmsh] Fine mesh only at boundary?

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 13:17:02 CET 2012

Hi Felipe,

thanks a lot for looking into this!

> very fine region inside the circle, I assume this is what you're trying to
> avoid, right?

Exactly. The problem is that I'll need a *very* fine mesh at the
boundary; if extended into the circle, the number of degrees of
freedom in the FEM application would be prohibitively large.

> I played around a bit after adding the
> "Mesh.CharacteristicLengthExtendFromBoundary= 0;"

So did I, and I've got a better idea now of where my problems come from.
Try for example

z = 0;
lcar = 0.2;
lcar_fine = lcar / 100.0;
width = 0.01;

and you'll see the funny behavior that I see: The coarsest elements
are refined in a weird way around the boundaries (see attachment).
When increasing the width of the boundary region, the mesh gets back
to sanity. Hm...

--Nico