[Gmsh] Problem with Ruled Surface interpolation in Gmsh 2.6?

Trevor Strickler trevor.strickler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 17:25:22 CET 2013

Hello,

A few weeks ago, I wrote because I was having troubles with ruled surfaces
in Gmsh 2.6.  I had some triangular patches that worked well in 2.5 but
were too curvy in 2.6. I finally figured out how to revert Gmsh 2.6 ruled
surface interpolation of triangular patches back to that of 2.5 so that I
can mesh my geometry with in 2.6.  One must change GeoInterpolation.cpp AND
gmshEdge::reparamOnFace().

Anyway, I think you should keep the old style of triangular ruled surface
interpolation as an option, at least.  I can see how both approaches could
be useful in different situations. However, I think it is important to
allow meshing of a simple curved triangular patch without such such strong
curvature--curvature which is demonstrated by running the attached file in
Gmsh 2.6.

Cheers,

Trevor Strickler
Rice University