[Gmsh] Symetry : when it is become explicit ?

Rui Maciel rui.maciel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 10:07:13 CET 2013

On 02/06/2013 08:34 AM, Adrien Girard wrote:
> Thank you very much for your answer.
>
> So I have to make the simulation on the whole model (8/8) ? But then the
> cost of the simulation will be 8 times more ?
> And thus, I do not take benefit of the symmetry of the problem, or
> I misunderstood something ?

It's the other way around.  If you analyze a model without taking
advantage of any symmetry condition then you will have to pay the full
computational price to get a solution.  This is the baseline case.

If, OTOH, you are able to take advantage of a model's symmetry then you
will be able to get essentially the same solution by analyzing an
equivalent model which is a fraction of the size of the original one.
In the case you've described, this model will be about 1/8th of the
original model's size.  As a consequence, you might get the FEM solution
in about 1% of the time it would otherwise take to run the analysis.

Hope this helps,
Rui Maciel