[Gmsh] Meshing composite volumes

Martin Vymazal martin.vymazal at vki.ac.be
Tue Apr 30 16:18:30 CEST 2013

Hi Theodore,

 you need to tell gmsh that the surface contains a hole. Define two line loops - one for the
contour of the external polygon (say Line Loop 1) and one for the contour of the ellipse (say
Line Loop 2). Then you define your surface for meshing as

Plane Surface(1) = {1,2}; // Subtract the interior of line loop 2
					 // from the
interior of line loop 1

See section 5.1.3 in gmsh reference manual or tutorial 3 on gmsh website.

If you don't have any lines to create line loops from (since you're loading an stl file), take a
look at 'CreateTopology'.

Best regards,

   Martin Vymazal