[Gmsh] Compound Volume

David Bernstein david.bernstein at meliortechnology.com
Sun May 5 06:59:20 CEST 2013

Can someone educate me on the correct use of Compound Volume?  The .geo file below makes two unit cubes with a common face and a compound volume out of both cubes.  However, the common face is still meshed.  I though the purpose of a compound volume was to combine volumes so that interior faces are not respected by the mesher.  I know similar questions have been posted before but I haven't found a good answer so I thought I would try it again.

Thanks,
Dave

a = 0.1;

Point(0) = {0, 0, 0, a};
Point(1) = {1, 0, 0, a};
Point(2) = {1, 1, 0, a};
Point(3) = {0, 1, 0, a};

Point(4) = {0, 0, 1, a};
Point(5) = {1, 0, 1, a};
Point(6) = {1, 1, 1, a};
Point(7) = {0, 1, 1, a};

Point(8)  = {0, 0, 2, a};
Point(9)  = {1, 0, 2, a};
Point(10) = {1, 1, 2, a};
Point(11) = {0, 1, 2, a};

Line(0) = {0, 1};
Line(1) = {1, 2};
Line(2) = {2, 3};
Line(3) = {3, 0};

Line(4) = {4, 5};
Line(5) = {5, 6};
Line(6) = {6, 7};
Line(7) = {7, 4};

Line(8) = {8, 9};
Line(9) = {9, 10};
Line(10) = {10, 11};
Line(11) = {11, 8};

Line(12) = {0, 4};
Line(13) = {4, 8};
Line(14) = {1, 5};
Line(15) = {5, 9};

Line(16) = {2, 6};
Line(17) = {6, 10};
Line(18) = {3, 7};
Line(19) = {7, 11};

Line Loop(0) = {0, 1, 2, 3};
Line Loop(1) = {4, 5, 6, 7};
Line Loop(2) = {8, 9, 10, 11};

Line Loop(3) = {1, 16, -5, -14};
Line Loop(4) = {0, 14, -4, -12};
Line Loop(5) = {2, 18, -6, -16};
Line Loop(6) = {3, 12, -7, -18};

Line Loop(7) = {4, 15, -8, -13};
Line Loop(8) = {5, 17, -9, -15};
Line Loop(9) = {6, 19, -10, -17};
Line Loop(10) = {7, 13, -11, -19};

Plane Surface(0) = {0};
Plane Surface(1) = {1};
Plane Surface(2) = {2};
Plane Surface(3) = {3};
Plane Surface(4) = {4};
Plane Surface(5) = {5};
Plane Surface(6) = {6};
Plane Surface(7) = {7};
Plane Surface(8) = {8};
Plane Surface(9) = {9};
Plane Surface(10) = {10};

Surface Loop(0) = {0, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6};
Surface Loop(1) = {1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10};

Volume(0) = {0};
Volume(1) = {1};

Compound Volume(3) = {0, 1};

--

This e-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended for
the use of the addressees named above. If you are not the intended