[Gmsh] neighbors information

jeremy theler jeremy at talador.com.ar
Fri May 10 04:43:16 CEST 2013

Hello all,

I remember this issue being discussed more than one year ago, but I would like
to call it again.

When trying to use gmsh for solving a PDE problem using the finite volumes
method, it is necessary to tell which elements (or cells) are neighbors of
each other, i.e. to make a list of all the neighbors each element (cell) has.
This is also true in finite element problems when the boundary condition
depends on the properties of the material. Think, for example, aboute the heat
conduction problem with different materials and a Neumann boundary condition
(i.e. imposed heat flux) applied into a surface physical entity in which the
thermal conductivity coefficient depends on the material, which in turn can be
associated to a volumetric physical entity. To know which coefficient k to apply
in each plane element of the boundary, the solver needs to know which is the
volumetric element that is adjacent to the surface element containing the
boundary condition.

For one and two-dimensional meshes, I managed to obtain the list of all the
neighbors each element has in a .msh file using a poorly-design algorithm. I
believe that if gmsh could make the list during the mesh generation process
and optionally add it to the .msh file, the overall process would be more
efficient.

I would love to hear your comments back, including using FVM with gmsh-
generated meshes.

--
jeremy