[Gmsh] METIS fill-reducing node sequence

Bruce Gerdes brucegerdes at gmail.com
Sat May 11 19:15:00 CEST 2013

I've just tried out the latest version of GMSH, the first I have used with
METIS.  METIS has the capability of producing a fill-reducing node sequence
suitable for skyline equation solvers.  I note that the element partition
assignments are in the .MSH file, and with these, I could write something
to generate the node sequence myself, but is there an easy way to do it
with the GMSH implementation?  If not, it might prove to be a very useful
and popular enhancement.  If GMSH could simply renumber the nodes according
to the METIS sequence, the format of the .MSH file would remain as is,
though the  partition information associated with the elements would then
be superfluous and could be shut off, possibly with an option flag.

Bruce Gerdes