[Gmsh] Forcing nodes along an interior boundary

Vishal Ganpat vishalgnpt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 19:25:25 CEST 2013

Hello,
I am very new to gmsh. I am trying to mesh a cuboid. However, on the top
face of the cuboid, I need a circle along which nodes need to be enforced.
(This is the line along which my forces act for my problem). To this end, I
begin with a 2D mesh and extrude it. I created 2 line loops, one for the
outer boundary (a rectangle) and one for the circle. I created 2 plane
surfaces using these line loops and extruded them along z-direction. (I am
not sure if this is the best way to do).

Now I want to use my own FE code on this mesh exported in Abaqus inp
format, however it exports lot of other data like 1D, 2D elements in the
file even though I created a Physical Volume. Also, I would like to
renumber the nodes and elements and export only the 3D mesh. Since my FE
code is not so sophisticated to pre-process the input file, I was wondering
if this could be done in gmsh.

1) Forcing nodes along a boundary
2) Renumbering the nodes and elements
3) Exporting only the required data

I am attaching the geo file and a screenshot of the mesh.

Any help/tips are appreciated.

thanks
regards
Vishal