[Gmsh] Combination of structured and unstructured 3d mesh

Gampfer, Michael michael.gampfer at tum.de
Mon Jul 22 13:52:06 CEST 2013

Dear all,

I'd like to mesh a steel-concrete-compound-structure with duplicated contact surfaces. All the Volumes are structured with extrusion, except one (volume 5 in attached file), which I wanted to mesh unstructured to get identical nodes on all the contact surfaces with the adjacent volumes. My problem is that the unstructured mesh in 3d is totally strange, although the surfaces in 2d meshing only look quite regular. Am I using a inappropriate algorithm or is such a mesh just impossible?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Michael