[Gmsh] Refining a mesh

Garnet Vaz garnet.vaz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 23:58:21 CEST 2013

Hi All,

I am trying to refine a mesh using Gmsh's refinement feature for a 2D
triangulation. I can do this if the mesh is generated from Gmsh itself but
I would also like to refine meshes that were not created using Gmsh.
The mesh I have is in the form of 'triangles' and node points. In terms of
the
.msh format this corresponds to the $Nodes and a part of the $Elements.
I see that the $Elements is missing some data for me to write my mesh
into a .msh file. Does Gmsh have some feature to load meshes given
just triangles and node points?

If not could someone explain what the following means so that I can write
a script which would convert it.

This is a part of the .msh file obtained from meshing a unit square.
$Elements
.
.
10 1 2 0 1 9 10
11 1 2 0 1 10 11
12 1 2 0 1 11 2
13 1 2 0 2 2 12
14 1 2 0 2 12 13
15 1 2 0 2 13 14
16 1 2 0 2 14 15
..
$EndElements
>From the documentation I understand all columns except for the 5'th one
which corresponds to '1' or '2' half way through. I think it indicates edges
which lie on the boundary and the '1' corresponds to the one of the
boundaries
of the lines forming the square and '2' corresponds to another. Is this
right?

Thanks,
-
Garnet  Vaz