[Gmsh] PostView format and background mesh

michael.asam at infineon.com michael.asam at infineon.com
Tue Jul 30 09:12:15 CEST 2013

Hi Juan,

the parsed .pos format (as used e.g. in bgmesh.pos) documentation is a bit hidden in the Gmsh
manual. You'll find it in chapter 8.1 Post-processing commands (-> View "string" ...)
Please note also the given hint:
"However this "parsed format" is read by Gmsh's script parser, which makes it
inefficient if there are many elements in the dataset. Also, there is no connectivity
information in parsed views and all the elements are independent (all fields
can be discontinuous), so a lot of information can be duplicated. For large
datasets, you should thus use the mesh-based post-processing file format described
in Chapter 9 [File formats], page 87, or use one of the standard formats
like MED."

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers,
Michael