[Gmsh] Some hints to solve self intersecting surface errors?

Mario Ceresa mario.ceresa at alma3d.com
Mon Aug 19 10:14:14 CEST 2013

Dear all,
My workflow is to use Sketchup to quickly create the geometry, export it
as iges and then mesh it with gmsh. Sometimes, usually when I have many
co-planar faces, I get the error:
"Self intersecting surface mesh, computing intersections"

and meshing fails. I attach an example. I tried "Cut-and-merge-faces"
option but it segfaults during 2d meshing.

Which is the proper way to solve this? Is there a way to "see" the
problematic faces so to know which parts of the geometry to change?

Thanks and regards,

Mario