[Gmsh] Cut mesh

Hunold Alexander TU Ilmenau Alexander.Hunold at tu-ilmenau.de
Fri Nov 15 10:11:20 CET 2013

Dear Gmsh-experts,

Thanks for supplying this fabulous tools and all your effort in support.

I would like to cut a tetrahedral mesh stored in *.mesh format and use it as dataset for a rapid prototyping printer.
The cutting plane is: 0*x + 2.78049438e+03*y + -2.47538882704395e+04*z+ -2.145903764510082e+06 = 0
Is there a way of performing a cut on a pure mesh in Gmsh?

In the email archive, I found the description of using the "Cut Plane" plugin but I received an error: Error: View[-1] does not exist.
I guess it's because I don't have any post processing data loaded, because I don't have any post processing data.

As an alternative I exported the mesh in the vtk-format and performed the truncation in Matlab. However I have problems to load the new vtk file back into Gmsh.
Please find the files here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8vq7nddi35ciw6u/4P_k-dEgna

Can you provide any suggestion to fix the vtk-file or to perfom the cut in Gmsh directly?

I appreciate any hint. Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Alexander Hunold
_______________________________________
Alexander Hunold, M.Sc.
Ilmenau University of Technology

Faculty of Computer Science and Automation
Institute of Biomedical Engineering and Informatics
POB 100565
98684 Ilmenau

Office: Bionic-Building, Room 20
Phone: +49 3677 69-1348