[Gmsh] Problems with -renumber

Matthias Sedlmaier Matthias at mayhem-dreams.de
Fri Nov 22 18:26:17 CET 2013

Hello Mr. Geuzaine,

Thank you very much for your support.
I have  answered to your last post some time ago. Unfortunately i sent
the mail directly to you and not to this list.

Here in short my former answer for all the other people who are
interested in this topic:

I have tried the -renumber option after you have fixed it as mentioned
in your latest post.
But i could not recognize any difference in the output between "gmsh
mymeshfile.msh -3" and "gmsh mymeshfile.msh -3 -renumber"

This is also true for the current stable release 2.8.3

I use gmsh to build meshes for CalculiX and the solver (spooles) is very
sensitive to the node ordering.
There is a factor of 10 in computation time between an optimized mesh
(created with ansys Workbench) and an unoptimized mesh from gmsh.

I wanted to ask how is the progress with the -renumber option?

A very big advantage would be to have an option like
"Mesh.MetisRenumber" which renumbers the mesh immediately after mesh
generation.

Kind regards

Matthias