[Gmsh] Gmsh doubt

Joaquín Aranciaga joa90_ at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 14 19:16:45 CET 2013

Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me out with one mesh I need to create with Gmsh. I need to make a tube's quarter structured mesh with hexahedron elements. For that, I wrote this code:

Lc=1;
Point(1) = {0, 0, 5, Lc};
Point(2) = {0, 0, 10, Lc};
Line(1) = {2, 1};

Extrude {1, 0, 0} {
  Line{1};
}
Transfinite Line {1} = 10 Using Progression 1;
Transfinite Surface {5};
Extrude {{1, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0}, -Pi/2} {
  Surface{5};
}
//;Layers{8}
Transfinite Line {17, 13, 4, 8, 21, 12, 3, 10, 7, 9, 2, 1} = 10 Using Progression 1;
Transfinite Surface {14};
Transfinite Surface {18};
Transfinite Surface {22};
Transfinite Surface {22};
Transfinite Surface {26};
Transfinite Surface {27};
Recombine Surface {22, 14, 18, 26, 5, 27};

I can make a perfect 2D mesh with this code. But when I click on the 3D mesh, the program fills the geometry with unstructured hexahedra. I can't find the way to get what I need! Besides, if I put "Layers{n}" inside the Extrude command, it doesn't even work with the 3D mesh. What's the reason for that? How can I do to create the mesh I require?

I'd appreciate it if you could give me a hand with this.
Thanks in advance, and let me congratulate you for this amazing program. It's been really useful to many people I know.

Greetings,
Joaquín.