[Gmsh] What is a valid mesh in Gmsh?

Serban.Georgescu at uk.fujitsu.com Serban.Georgescu at uk.fujitsu.com
Thu Jan 9 17:46:40 CET 2014

Hello all,

I have a short question to test my understanding of what is a correct 3D mesh for Gmsh.
In the attached file I have a screenshot of a mesh that I have generated for a cylinder, using a very large element size.
(I know how to generate a better one, this is only to support my question)

AFAIK, from a FEM point of view, this mesh is not correct because the elements in the lower part are connected to the ones in the upper part only through an edge. However, I see no errors or warnings in Gmsh, so I assume for Gmsh this represents a correct FEM mesh.
Am I correct?

Thank you!
Serban

 Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
 Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE
 Registered No. 4153469

 This e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of addressee(s) and
 may contain information which is privileged and confidential. Unauthorised
 use or copying for disclosure is strictly prohibited. The fact that this
 e-mail has been scanned by Trendmicro Interscan does not guarantee that
 it has not been intercepted or amended nor that it is virus-free.