[Gmsh] .unv export : wrong physical entities tag

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Tue Jan 21 22:09:06 CET 2014

On 21 Jan 2014, at 18:32, Zacharie DE GRÈVE [530160] <Zacharie.DEGREVE at umons.ac.be> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> It seems that the .unv export functionality does not correctly transfer the gmsh physical entities tags.
>
> Indeed, in the exported .unv file (element subset), the third field gives the number of the gmsh geometrical entity instead of the physical entity.
>
> Moreover, the numbering of the elements is also different when comparing .msh and .unv files.
>
> Is this behaviour normal ? (gmsh version : 2.8.3, linux 64bits)

Hello Zacharie,

Yes - we have modified the UNV and INP output to use their "natural" grouping capabilities (groups of elements and optional groups of nodes for physical entities), instead of duplicating elements like we use to in the MSH2 format. This also means that we don't have to renumber elements anymore, which makes the input/output consistent with the internal state of the model mesh. The new MSH3 format will follow the same approach.

Cheers,

Christophe