[Gmsh] Merging VTK or STL surfaces: unknow surfaces and missing boundaries

Vincent Thierry Libertiaux vlib at uab.edu
Wed Mar 12 23:34:01 CET 2014

Greetings to the gmsh community,

First of all, I would like to thank Mr Geuzaine and Remacle, and all the other contributors, for the constant development of the software and the great support to the community !

I am back using gmsh after advocating using it as our main mesher when I was working at the University of Liege a few years ago !

Here is the description of my problem:  I used vtk to produce surface meshes of different eye tissues.  Those meshes can be either in the vtk or stl format.  I then created a geo file for both type of format and run gmsh 2.8 from the command line with the -3 and -order 2 options.

When I use the vtk files, I obtain what looks like a satisfactory result.  However, when I look a the .msh file, the information relative to the physical surfaces/volumes is lost: it always puts the first label of my surface/volume list.

When I use the stl files, it looks like the physical surfaces labels are correct, as is the first physical volume label, but I think that only this one is meshed (I have 5 volumes).

In both cases, I have an error when I load the file indicating "unknown surface".  This happens only once for the stl files, and it is always the last one that is incriminated; and multiple times in the case of the vtk files.

I researched for that kind of problem in the archives but unsuccessfully.

I hope that someone will be able to help me with that issue.

I joined all the files needed to make some tests.

I thank you very much in advance,

Best regards,

Vincent