[Gmsh] meshing around a blade

Holtkämper, Stefan st103117 at stud.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Apr 23 11:29:58 CEST 2014

Hello,

I want to create a mesh around a blade within a cylindrical domain.

The geometry is available as an IGES-file and I added it to my geo-file by typing:

Geometry.Tolerance = 0.0001;
Geometry.OCCSewFaces = 1;
Merge "blade.igs";

As you can see in the attached picture, the blade is bounded by the surface of the hub (and a hidden helping surface at the tip). After defining the volume by selecting all surfaces, gmsh is meshing through the blade at the hub. I tried to add the border edges (no. 17,26,...) of the blade to the hub's surface (no.1) with "Line In Surface", but it doesn't seem to be working.

So how can I tell Gmsh that the interior of the blade does not belong to the meshing volume?

Is there any way to seperate / cut / extract certain parts of the surface, e.g. the connecting surface between the hub and the blade?

It would be a great help if someone has any suggestions!

Kind regards,
Stefan