[Gmsh] Is Non-uniform p-refinement planned?

Aleksejs Fomins aleksejs.fomins at lspr.ch
Sun Oct 12 15:38:13 CEST 2014

Dear GMSH,

Our FEM code has benefited from GMSH meshing capabilities for several
years now, and this year we started using its curvilinear capabilities,
which brings our code to a totally new level of performance.

However, we dream of yet another piece of functionality, which could
save us a lot of memory and processor time, and that is the non-uniform
p-refinement.

At the moment, when selecting curvilinear interpolation order, GMSH uses
that interpolation order for all elements. Furthermore, it frequently
makes the boundary between elements of the same geometric entity curved,
with the strategy that I am not able to immediately comprehend.

Could someone from the developers please comment if the following
functionality could become available in foreseeable future:

1) Make all boundaries between elements of the same geometrical entity
straight-sided, thus only preserving curvature on the boundaries between
geometrical entities, and rendering all other elements as linear elements.

2) Further, give user some control on how the internal geometry of a
single geometrical entity is interpolated, in terms of some strategy
parameters specified by the user. I was made aware there is research
showing that, depending on the structure of PDE of interest, a certain
internal curvature can improve convergence of the problem.

Regards,
Aleksejs Fomins