[Gmsh] step import error

Mark Smith piedycat at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 12:02:13 CET 2015

Hi Christophe, Gmshers,I found a work around for my simple geometry with shared internal faces which might work for othersIt concerns cases where STEP (or other OCC probably) geometry won't import correctly into gmsh with the cut and merge faces option enabled i.e. bits disappear or still have duplicate elementary entities.

Work arounds so far.
1) Import STEP file into GiD 11.1.9d (free Evaluation version but may not work with large models?) then do geometry>edit>collapse>model then utilities>repair model. Then export as iges.
Use this iges file in merge"file.igs"; in a .geo file (disable the cut and merge faces option) if you want you could then save it as a  .brep file and in a new .geo file use this .brep file in the merge"file.brep" line. Either way, you should now have geometry without any duplicate geometric entity problems.
2) load the .step file exported from CAD into gmsh using File>Open (not via a .geo file with the merge line)
save it as a .geo file in the GEO options make sure NONE of the check boxes are ticked. I know this is notrecommended but for my geometry it seems to work and lets me proceed.
Load this .geo file and click coherence to remove the duplicate geometric objects then reload.

No guarantee that either will work for all possible geometries ;-(
HTH.RegardsMark