[Gmsh] Marking metis partition edge as distinct physical region.

benjamin kary benjamin.kary at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 17:40:28 CEST 2015

I'd like to combine gmsh's physical entity marking and metis implementation
to produce partitioned unstructured finite element meshes all set up to be
imported by fenics for a Domain Decomposition project I am working on.

I have been fighting with this for a couple days now, and it seems that all
that is lacking is to get the ragged edge created by the paritioning marked
as a series of elements of type 1 (edges) with distinct physical entity
number.  Ie, the .msh files should contain element entries that look like
the following:

1 1 4 1 3 1 1 2 3
2 1 4 1 4 1 1 3 4

For two edges in partition 1 of a 2D triangular mesh.

Is there any way to accomplish this?  I have thought of one approach as I
write this - maybe use the element location to add points to a new geo
file, extrude the points, and mark them.  I don't have a way to get at just
the vertices lying on the ragged partition edge though...

Please Help!

Regards,

Ben