[Gmsh] Optimising binary .msh format

Michael Lange michael.lange at imperial.ac.uk
Thu May 7 13:02:29 CEST 2015

Hi,

I am trying to optimise the performance of the current file reader for
binary .msh files in PETSc by utilising the element grouping described
in the binary format (see
http://www.geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/#MSH-binary-file-format). However,
using a recent version of Gmsh (version 2.9.3, with options: -3 -bin),
the generated .msh files contain a header + binary entry pair for each
element in the mesh, instead of two groups of same-type elements (volume
and surface). This unfortunately prevents me from using efficient bulk
reads to speed up file I/O and hinders performance when reading large
meshes on certain HPC architectures.

Is there any way to enable this type of element grouping in the binary
mesh file generation? Am I missing an option by any chance, or does this
require significant code changes?

Thanks,

Michael Lange