[Gmsh] Assigning integer/string to elements in a physical entity?

Kyle Hoffman hoffman.kyle.c at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 22:16:07 CEST 2015

Hello,

I am trying to mesh a model of a room in GMSH to be used for thermal
analysis. To do this I need to assign characteristics for different
materials (e.g. walls, air, window, etc.) to define boundaries and
subdomains.  I am looking for a way to assign an integer or string to
elements that can be seen in the geo file. Is there a way to do this in
GMSH? If possible, it would be easiest if there was a way to assign this
value to elements when adding Physical Surfaces and Volumes.

 The goal is to then take the geo file and convert it to an xml to be used
by FENICS.I am aware of the method using DOLFIN-CONVERT, but the
re-numbering of the physical entities in the geo file is not ideal for
repeatability and tracking the material (subdomain) of each entity. So if
there was a way to assign a value, defined by the user, to physical
entities when they are added that would be ideal.

Thanks,

Kyle Hoffman