[Gmsh] Quadrangles and Q1 shape functions

Mikhail Artemyev artemiev.mikhail at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 19:47:08 CEST 2015

Hi Torquil,

That reminds me the similar problem I had with visualization of solution
on a rectangular grind in ParaView.
This is the thread:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/paraview/2014-May/031144.html
I'm copying the relevant part of the answer I linked to here:

"that’s because of the triangulation (or tesselation) of surface representations.
Most of the 3D programs including ParaView draw objects as groups of triangles.
That’s depends on today’s 3D rendering pipelines such as OpenGL, DirectX, etc.
Please googling the keywords: ‘vertex shading’

Even though you read your data as structured grid with point values,
ParaView should immediately triangulate all of the rectangles, and interpolating
the values between points of the triangles."

Hope this helps.

Best,
Mikhail