[Gmsh] huge files in version control

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 00:16:54 CET 2015

Hi everyone,

I noticed that today, some HUGE files were committed to the SVN repo, for
example
```
./projects/small_fem/tests/ddm/hp-convergence/waveguide_X0.50_Y0.25_Z0.25_structured/guide3d_64.msh
./projects/small_fem/tests/ddm/hp-convergence/waveguide_X0.50_Y0.25_Z0.25_structured/unstr/guide3d.msh
```
This is basically the end of gmsh's Git mirror [1] since Git preserves
history for every clone, so everyone who ever checks out gmsh through git
will have to fetch 400MB+ for today alone.

Generally, committing data into version control repos isn't a good idea but
there are several ways around it. Since you're using CMake, it might be
worth checking out CMake's ExternalData feature [1]. I've been using it for
some years now and am really happy with it.

Cheers,
Nico

[1] https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.0/module/ExternalData.html

[1] https://github.com/live-clones/gmsh