[Gmsh] Make surface with a Compound Line

look mlook at me.com
Thu Nov 19 15:46:37 CET 2015

Dear gmsh list,

I am experience a problem regarding the feature Compound Line.

First I am creating a Compound Line out of a straight line and an circle arc. Everything goes well so far. But as soon as I try to make this Compound line a part of a surface, gmsh tells me my line loop is wrong.

Here is the geo-file:

Point(1) = {0, 0, 0, 0};
Point(2) = {1, 0, 0, 0};
Point(3) = {1.5, 0.5, 0, 0};
Point(4) = {1, 0.5, 0, 0};

Line(1) = {1, 2};
Circle(2) = {2, 4, 3};
Compound Line (6) = {1, 2};
Point(5) = {1, 1, 0, 0};
Point(6) = {-0.5, 1, 0, 0};
Line(3) = {3, 5};
Line(4) = {5, 6};
Line(5) = {6, 1};

Transfinite Line {3, 4, 5, 6} = 10;
Line Loop(7) = {5, 6, 3, 4};
Plane Surface(8) = {7};

The error message:

Info    : Clearing all models and views...
Info    : Done clearing all models and views
Info    : Resetting database
Info    : Reading '/Users/michaelwinderl/Documents/DG/gmsh_test/testrueck.geo'...
Error   : Line Loop 7 is wrong
Info    : Done reading '/Users/michaelwinderl/Documents/DG/gmsh_test/testrueck.geo'
Info    : Done

Am I misunderstanding this feature? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Kate