[Gmsh] Reading .msh file

saurabhdeshpande93 at gmail.com saurabhdeshpande93 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 17:12:23 CEST 2016

Hello people,

 I am new to Gmsh. Can someone help me reading the .msh format. I have
highlighted the questions with red color.

$MeshFormat
2.2 0 8
$EndMeshFormat
$ParametricNodes
21
1 0 0 0 0 1              (For node numbers there are 5 entries after the
number out of which first three are coordinates what does last two number
denote?)
2 3 0 0 0 2
..

$Elements
44
1 15 2 0 1 1     ( What does this 5 numbers represent the given order? )
2 15 2 0 2 2
3 15 2 0 3 3

Also I could not see any option for element numbering on Gmsh GUI. And Why
the number of elements I could see on the GUI doesn't match with the number
of elements given in .msh file?? (For reference I have attached the
screenshot I could see only 28 elements on GUI but in .msh file it has
listed 44 elements. I am not able to account for that).

It would be very great if someone can explain this basics to me.

Thanks and regards,
Saurabh