[Gmsh] Remeshing with GMesh in 2D

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Sat Apr 30 09:55:05 CEST 2016

> On 29 Apr 2016, at 17:57, Dr. Stephan Schmidt <stephan.schmidt at mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
>
> Dear Prof. Geuzaine,
>
> many thanks for the feedback! I have tried to use exactly the same procedure, but gmsh simply crashes without an error message when I try to e.g. refine the remeshed mesh.
>
> Attached is a very minimal working example: „channel_orig.msh“ is the original mesh created by gmsh itself. It appears to be valid in all regards, my flow solver works flawlessly on this. „Remesh_channel.geo“ is the file I actually open for remeshing and I manage to remesh the geometry successfully.
>
> But whenever I try to refine the rather coarse remeshed cannel using the gui, gmsh crashes without throwing any error messages and I am stuck on how to make a finer mesh. I am using the following build and version of gmsh:

Can you try with a recent nightly build? It works fine on my machine.

> Info    : -------------------------------------------------------
> Info    : Gmsh version   : 2.11.0
> Info    : Build OS       : MacOSX
> Info    : Build options  : Ann Bamg Bfgs Blas(Custom) Blossom Chaco DIntegration Dlopen Fltk Gmm Jpeg(Fltk) Kbipack Lapack(Custom) MathEx Med Mesh Metis Mmg3d Mpeg NativeFileChooser Netgen ONELAB ONELABMetamodel OpenCascade OpenGL OptHom PETSc Parser Plugins Png(Fltk) Post SLEPc Salome Solver Tetgen(1.5) Voro3D Zlib
> Info    : Build date     : 20151107
> Info    : Build host     : Christophes-Mac.local
> Info    : Packager       : geuzaine
> Info    : Executable     : /Applications/Gmsh.app/Contents/MacOS/gmsh
> Info    : Home directory : /Users/schmidt/
> Info    : Launch date    : Fri Apr 29 17:47:49 2016
> Info    : Command line   : /Applications/Gmsh.app/Contents/MacOS/gmsh
>
> I would be very thankful if you could kindly provide feedback with respect to this:
>
> - How can I generate a finer mesh? Ideally, I would love to carry over the Delauney-weights associated with the original points into the remeshing information.

You can use any of the standard methods to define element sizes: global factor, fields (e.g. defined on a mesh), etc.

> - Does the remeshed mesh also contain the same physical boundaries as the original mesh or do I have to re-identify the different boundaries afterwards manually? I know from the .stl 3D example how to do this when each physical boundary is contained within its own

Currently the "compounds" create new geometrical entities - you thus need to define the Physical entities using the new tags.

However, we are working on a new implementation of the remeshing tools for Gmsh 3.0, which will change the workflow: the "Compound" command will become a meshing constraint command, and will not create new entities.

Christophe