[Gmsh] R: R: R: Newbie question

Karen Pease meme at eaku.net
Fri May 27 04:18:59 CEST 2016

Okay, so I've made a little progress, although it's taken all evening
(half spent trying to get ccx and its dependencies to compile  :Þ).
 Concerning gmsh, I found that I can see how it's supposed to look with
surface faces, as suggested; that I can:

1) go to modules->geometry->elementary entities->add->volume
2) link it to the mesh, and get a geo file with a volume defined
3)save that as an inp file
4) make small changes in the inp file (as per a video I found)
5) hand-write another inp, "modal.inp", which defines material
properties as well as a couple other things I don't understand
6) Process it modal.inp in ccx
7) load the output in gcx
8) select the dataset and view displacement.

However, that result seems meaningless as I haven't defined any forces,
or anyway for it to be resisting forces, so I can't see how it would
have any stress or deflection at all (I haven't yet done any attempts
to measure peak deflection or stresses from the results, either).

Clearly I should have to define attachment points some how.  Maybe by
placing nodes in gmsh?  Not sure exactly how to use them in ccx to
define an attachment point, but it seems like something that might be
needed.  But if I just arbitrarily place nodes then I can't see how
they would be "connected" to the volume I got by clicking on the mesh
in step #2.

Once the volume (from step #2) is "anchored" to something I'll also
somehow need to define uniform forces on the volume.  And then somehow
from the output extract the peak deflection and stress...

Am I moving in the right direction here?

 - kv, Karen