[Gmsh] Remesh STL surface with 2nd order curved elements

Johannes Töger johannes.toger at med.lu.se
Thu Jun 29 15:34:17 CEST 2017

Hi,

I have a high-resolution STL surface (~100k triangles) and I want to create
a 3D tetrahedral mesh of the interior for CFD simulations. The first step
is to remesh the surface to a more reasonable resolution.

Now the thing is that I want to do second-order curved elements for the
boundaries for better accuracy/performance of the CFD, which is quite
expensive. Image of 2D version of what I want to do is linked here:
http://imgur.com/a/h5834. This means that the extra side-nodes should be
placed on the high-resolution geometry, not just as a linear interpolation
of the corners. NetGen does this very well, but I would like to use gmsh
instead since it doesn't crash as much. :o)

Can this be accomplished in gmsh? I have played around with the surface
remeshing features according to
https://geuz.org/trac/gmsh/wiki/STLRemeshing (user/pass:
geuz), but no luck so far. Maybe I'm missing something elementary.

Cheers,

—
Johannes Töger

Postdoctoral Research Scholar
National 7T Facility, Lund Biomedical Imaging Center
Department of Clinical Sciences Lund, Diagnostic Radiology
Lund University, Sweden