[Gmsh] Simple electrostatic simulation with multiple domains

Matias Senger m.senger at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 18 14:24:12 CEST 2017

Hello,

I am new ONELAB user and a physics/engineering student. I want to simulate the electric field (and in the future also the heat flow) in a PCB with many components. Thus, I need to define different volumes with different material properties each. But first I want to perform some simple test simulations just for knowing how the program works.

In particular, what I am trying to do now is to simulate the following geometry (if embedded image is not visible, see attached one)

[cid:c9e313b2-e812-4b93-8e8d-b7468d04618b]

where the small spheres marked as V+ and V- are to be set to some fixed potential, the outermost spherical surface is to be imposed 0 V  and each volume (yellow, white and pink) are to be different dielectrics. I am not succeeding. It seems as if the dielectrics 1 and 2 (white and pink) are completely isolated from the rest of the universe. These are the results I am obtaining (again, if embedded image is not visible see attached):

[cid:eb146d40-5e5a-4cf0-b77c-98e4237a29da]

I don't know if this can be done using the GUI... My idea is to merge the geometry from a STEP file, as I am doing in this example. I also attach the files I am using inside "main.zip".

Thanks in advance,
Matías.