[Gmsh] How to generate periodic grids when importing step geometry ?

Bernd Hahnebach gmsh at b75.ch
Fri Oct 13 10:30:09 CEST 2017

Hi Benedikt,

just for your information. AFAIK STEP does not support the OCCT
BOOLEAN FRAGMENTS shapes like a CompSolid. Means if you use Boolean
Fragments inside FreeCAD  (which is possible by GUI and Python) and
use STEP to transform them to GMSH you will loose some smart
informations like two solids sharing a face etc. Thus best is to use
OCCTs native format BREP. Since FreeCAD and GMSH are both based on
OCCT they both support it very well.

BTW: It is exactly what I did when developed FreeCADs GMSH mesh tool:
export to BREP, write some geo file, run GMSH and read back an unv.

Ahh, never would have thought there is someone less than 500 m away
who uses FreeCAD :-)  I'm in Räffelstrasse 32 :-)

cheers bernd