[Gmsh] export large mesh files into Fluent

Ricardo Gomez Bardon ricardo.gomez at polimi.it
Tue Nov 21 10:06:47 CET 2017

Good morning,

I am exporting large mesh files (from 10 to 200 million elements) from Gmsh to Fluent, and would like to ask for advice on which mesh formats are more suitable.

So far, I am using ideas universal (.unv), as it can be imported directly into Fluent without errors. The exporting options I use are Save Groups Of Nodes: YES and Save All: NO, having properly defined all the Physical Tags in my domain. I have also tried Nastran (.bdf) but from a certain mesh size (as a matter of fact quite small) it gave errors in Fluent, trying all the output format options (small/large field). Other formats like Abaqus gave me errors always.

Ideas works, but the issue I have is that despite being my domain completely fluid, when I import the mesh into Fluent there appear some isolated elements as solid. This is manageagle in my case because these elements are very few, so I can manually modify the mesh. I wonder though if there is a particular reason for this, maybe a wrong setting I am using, or if it is just a consequence of generating such large files in this format (the misterious solid elements do not appear in small models).

It would help me to avoid having these solid elements, as I am trying to run my processes automatically in Fluent in batch mode with journal files, and modifying the mesh manually is quite cumbersome. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Ricardo.