[Gmsh] [ISSUE] gmsh not assigning contiguous element tags for quadrangular meshes

Aman Abhishek Tiwari aman.iitk072 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 20:38:08 CET 2017

Gmsh Team,

I was trying to create a structured mesh using 2nd order quadrangular
meshes.
The kind of mesh I want is shown in the non_contiguous.png attachment with
a square boundary.

To create the mesh, the square was created in four parts. For each part,
two of its sides are orthogonal straight lines and other two are b-splines.
The four parts were then meshed using 2nd order quadrangular meshes. The
issue is that the element tags assigned by gmsh are not contiguous. An
example of contiguous element tags can be seen in `contiguous.png`
attachment, in which the element tags increments continuously along one row
and then moves at the beginning of the next row.

We need a similar kind of contiguous element tagging in our
non_contiguous.geo mesh.

I will be very grateful if you can give me some suggestions to create a
mesh like the one shown in `non_contiguous.png` with contiguous element
tags.

Note: The offset in the element tags shown in the plot have been removed,
i.e., if the element tags assigned by gmsh starts with N and increments as
N, N + 1, N + 2, ... , then in the plot it has been changed to 0, 1, 2 ... .

Thank You
Aman Abhishek Tiwari
Department of Physics
IIT Kanpur, India