[Gmsh] Ghost Cells

Sudhi P V SudhiPV at cmail.carleton.ca
Tue Dec 5 21:37:59 CET 2017

Hi,

I am using 'gmsh' to mesh and partition a domain in to number of parts for easier and faster analysis.

During this process, I encountered with some -ve partition IDs in the MSH file. Upon referring to gmsh documentation, it was found to be named as Ghost Cells.

I wanted to know the significance of these Ghost cells. Why are they called so ? and the use of representing them like this in any important calculations.

I am attaching a msh file for your reference. I have meshed a simple square in four partitions.

Regards,

Sudhi