[Gmsh] GMSH merges mesh?

phillip mobley phillipmobley2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 04:30:28 CET 2017

Hello all,

I am learning and using the API more. I am currently generating Quad meshes
for an application that I am writing that uses the GMSH source code
directly.

However, I have a situation which I think I know what GMSH is doing but I
need confirmation on this.

I have a test mesh where I place 2 squares next to each other such that
they share a common edge. I currently have GMSH set to obtain the
characteristic length from the curvature. When my program goes to create
the GMSH geometry, this common edge is added to the list GMSH geometry
twice. One for each face.

Now, the characteristic lenght for face 1 is set to 0.5 and the
characteristic length for face 2 is set to 0.07. When the mesh is created,
I view the results in Visit (I print out the VTK file after the mesh is
created). I see what I expect to see where the mesh field for face 2 is
more dense then that mesh field of face 1.

Now, I am wondering this, does gmsh actually merge the two mesh fields to
create one unified field when the program outputs the VTK file (or even
after the mesh is finished)? Or am I seeing 2 different mesh fields where
there are duplicates of the common edge where one mesh size is set to 0.07
and the other 0.5?