[Gmsh] Can I create a mesh with brick elements using Gmsh

Jianan Zhang JiananZhang at cmail.carleton.ca
Sat Dec 23 03:48:59 CET 2017

Hi, McBain,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, by crick I mean the rectangular brick element, i.e., hexahedral aligned with the Cartesian axes shown as follows,
[Inline image OWAPstImg837331]

Basically, the mesh I want to create is a 3D hyperrectangular but with a small 3 hyperrectangular deleted from it. Something like this:
[Inline image OWAPstImg378831]
Note that the smaller one should be deleted from the bigger one, and I want the remaining part to be meshed with brick elements. Currently, with the GUI of Gmsh, I can create a geometry after performing that subtraction, then I click Mesh->3D to get a mesh file. But I can only get a mesh either with tetras or with hexas, not bricks, something like this
[Inline image OWAPstImg741560]  [Inline image OWAPstImg915842]

Is is possible to generate such a mesh with Gmsh' GUI? Or I need to use  Gmsh's own scripting language, using Extrude, Layers, and Recombine as you said?

Best regards
Jianan Zhang