[Gmsh] 2D Mesh for OpenFOAM: boundary layer field and extrusion

James Gross jgross0227 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 16:05:01 CET 2018

Hi everyone,

I am looking to create a 2D mesh for a simulation of a pump in OF. I would
like to use BoundaryLayer Field to create a structured mesh for the
boundary layer, with an unstructured mesh in the rest of the flow field.

All is good for the purely 2D mesh, however when I extrude the surface to
make the mesh for OF, the boundary layer does not seem to be fully
extruded, as only the one side that specified in the BoundaryLayer Field is
included when I label the Physical Surface.

My understanding is that geometrical features from both extruded and
non-extruded side needs to be specified during the BoundaryLayer Field
call. However this is fairly cumbersome, as I need to find the labels for
all of the extruded features.

Is there another way to do this?

I have attached a geo file that creates a geometry, extrudes it, and meshes
it.

Any help/advice that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
James