[Gmsh] Higher Order Tools: "Regulerize"

Zuheyr Alsalihi alsalihi at vki.ac.be
Wed Jun 27 17:37:44 CEST 2018

Dear Gmsh Community,

I mysteriously got 1 3D Surface 2 3D volume negative Jacobians in a 2nd
order, Type C3D10 element 3D solid mesh using curved elements.
Whatever I did I could not remove it. Then I came across an email by
Prof Geuzaine:

"And to avoid such negative jacobians, you can use the "High order
tools" (in the Mesh menu). This is still experimental, but works quite
well. The algorithms are described (in part) in

T. Toulorge, C. Geuzaine, J.-F. Remacle, J. Lambrechts. Robust
untangling of curvilinear meshes. Journal of Computational Physics 254,
pp. 8-26, 2013.
http://gmsh.info/doc/preprints/gmsh_untangling_preprint.pdf"

And indeed, the "Regulerize" button miraculously reported the negative
volume was optimized.

I just want to know:

if I am correct about this "regularize" and the resulting mesh is indeed
OK as I was
not able to see the negative volume in 163k elements.

What do you usually do to remove negative volumes?! I tried finer and
coarser meshes.

Thank you very much for reading!

Best regards,

--