[Gmsh] periodic pairs of internal nodes of each edge

Koen Hillewaert (Cenaero) koen.hillewaert at cenaero.be
Thu Jul 26 19:59:05 CEST 2018

Hi all,

in my opinion, this correspondence should not be stored since it can be
deduced straightforwardly from the principal vertices. In general, I
think we should limit the data in the file without incurring a huge cost
to reconstruct missing information or even risk ambiguities - both are
applicable to periodic transformations; storing only principal vertices
then seems the best compromise. The compacity of this section is
important, since periodicity information is very difficult to partition,
which means that this section should be as light as possible as it is
duplicated for all partitions in case we store one file per partition -
the latter option is important for very large meshes.

The ho point correspondence is stored in gmsh internal datastructures
though, since it is required for ensuring continued periodicity when
optimizing a high order mesh - we guarantee that the high order nodes
also satisfy exactly the periodicity. In principle, adding these points
should therefore not require a big effort.

This being said, there is currently an issue with reading periodic
meshes : gmsh seems to displace the nodes by twice the periodicity
transformation.

Best,

Koen

--
Koen Hillewaert
Fluid Dynamics Technology Leader

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Koen_Hillewaert

Cenaero
Your R&T partner in modeling and numerical simulation

Tel: + 32 (0)71  910 942
Fax: + 32 (0)71  910 931
Mob: + 32 (0)495 385 030
Skype: koen.hillewaert.cenaero