[Gmsh] Problem with periodic boundary condition for a volume extruded using wire

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at uliege.be
Fri Jul 27 08:26:26 CEST 2018

> On 29 Jun 2018, at 13:52, Changwei ZHOU <changwei.zhou at ifsttar.fr> wrote:
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> I have a problem with periodic boundary condition.
>
> The model concerns a helix obtained by extuding using wire under OpenCASCADE Kernel (because in my final application, I need to use Boolean operation).
>
> Gmsh failed to apply periodic boundary condition with correct affine transform matrix of translation-rotation
>
> Please find attached the helix.geo files with a lot of comments which give a better explanation of my problem.

The start/end surfaces of the pipe probably does not (exactly) match the explicit rotation - increasing the tolerance (-tol) will indeed allow the periodic matcher to find its counterparts, but for values that are far too large to be usable.

I would try first on a simpler case where you can explicitly check the angle. It might also be worth it to investigate the different modes for OpenCASCADE pipes (see the comments in Geo/GModelIO_OCC.cpp), as well as putting the spine in different locations.

Christophe

—