[Gmsh] Gmsh output mesh statistics in script (not in GUI)

Hector Espinoza espinozahg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 15:21:23 CEST 2018

Hello:

I am using gmsh 3.0.6 to produce a 3D mesh in an complex geometry and I
would like to do the following steps to be sure I am producing a good mesh:
1) Generate a 2D surface mesh
2) Output statistics of the 2D mesh (gamma quality)
3) Apply some smoothing/optimization to the 2D surface mesh
4) Output statistics of the optimized/smoothed 2D mesh (gamma quality)
5) Generate a 3D mesh (gamma quality)
6) Output statistics of the 3D Mesh
7) Apply some smoothing/optimization to the 3D volume mesh
8) Output statistics of the optimized/smoothed 3D mesh (gamma quality)

Some steps are easy: for example:
1) Mesh 2;
5) Mesh 3;

Maybe step 3 and 7 can be done using
OptimizeMesh Gmsh
OptimizeMesh Netgen
but I am not sure if that works in 2D, 3D or both.

Additionally, I dont know how to do steps 2, 4, 6 and 8. I know gmsh can
compute internally some quality measures i.e. gammaMin, gammaMax, gamma and
a quality histogram, but I cannot print those values to stdout from a .geo
script.

Thanks in advance,

Héctor Espinoza