[Gmsh] Gmsh Boolean Subtraction on .stl Files

Mohammadi, Fariba f824m519 at ku.edu
Fri Oct 5 20:56:21 CEST 2018

Hi,

I am trying to do Boolean subtraction on two surface meshes. My mesh files are in .stl format. In Gmsh, I tried to define each mesh as volume using Modules>Geometry>Elementary entities>Add>Volume. It created a .geo file containing my .stl file name as a command and used that as the script file.

Then I merged both files and tried to do the Boolean subtraction. It is giving me the following error,

Error: Unknown OpenCASCADE entity with dimension 3 with tag 1

Error: '', line 3: Could not apply boolean operator

My script looks like this,

Merge "left_ivc_vein.stl";
Surface Loop(1) = {1};
//+
Volume(1) = {1};
//+
Merge "left_ivc_filter.stl";
Surface Loop(2) = {2};
//+
Volume(2) = {2};
//+
SetFactory("OpenCASCADE");
BooleanDifference{ Volume{1}; }{ Volume{2}; Delete; }

I am new to Gmsh and I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fariba