[Gmsh] Unable to display an msh file

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at uliege.be
Sat Nov 10 08:01:18 CET 2018

Dear Praveen,

The element section is not valid for Gmsh: for example

74649 3 2 7 -1 49799 49999 50000 49800

means that element 74649, of type 3 (quadrangle), has 2 associated tags (physical group 7 and element geometrical entity -1) and 4 nodes (49799 49999 50000 49800).

But elementary geometrical entities must be positive. Also, all the elements in the file are actually associated with elementary geometrical entity "-1": this is invalid, as you should have at least as many elementary geometrical entities as physical groups (which group elementary entities).

Christophe