[Gmsh] "Re: GMSH parsing is very slow"

Al Sc al.sc.gmsh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:48:38 CET 2019

Dear Christoph,

to be honest, a remark deeply hidden somewhere in the documentation
wouldn't have helped me.
That's because my approach typically is not to read the documentation like
a book (i.e. from front to back) but rather to skip forwards to the
paragraphs I currently need for the implementation.
I believe most users work in a similar way.
My personal suggestion would be that you "detect" in your
backwards-compatible gmsh parser the event where -something-like- more than
1000 CAD-to-topology synchronizations (or whatever you call it) are
implicitly done. And if this happens, just _FAIL_. This slightly breaks
your compatibility, but only in corner cases where performance is too bad
for practical purposes anyway. A user may want to override this behavior
using a special command line option like "-cad-sync-limit infinity" - in
case he thinks otherwise.

Best regards
A. S.