[Gmsh] generating an SU2 Euler mesh based on STEP input

Johannes Dillinger jojodillinger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 19:29:48 CET 2019

Dear all,

I'm looking for a suitable way to "quickly" generate Euler meshes for SU2
CFD analysis.
So the usual setup is a (hopefully rather simple) STEP model of a
wing-fusleage part for example, that I want to mesh in GMSH.

I attached a sample STEP and the geo-file that I have been working on, but
I cant seem to find the errors..

   1. First I merge the STEP-file and reverse some surfaces (that
   apparently are oriented in the wrong direction)..
   2. I generate a surface loop of the outer surfaces for defining outer
   volume later on. Here the first weird thing happens: the loop command
   generates surfaces 17, 18, and curves 39-44
   3. I delete surfaces 17 and 18, since they later on will make problems
   otherwise
   4. I also delete the imported volumes

I then generate a farfield/bounding box, and also here, the loop command
generates additional surfaces 1007 to 1010, and I cant figure out why..
Anyway, I again delte those, since they will cause problems otherwise.

The last problem which really stops me from continuing is the outer volume
that I generate with the "Volume" command in line 50. This one again
generates a surface 1009, that I cant delete anymore..
So the surface will be 2D meshed and maybe then leads to the problem that
the outer volume cannot be meshed.

I guess thats enough questions and porblems for now. Once solved, it would
be great if you could help me with mesh density and so on (already in the
geo though), but thats for later..:-)

So, to sum up:

   1. is the general methodology I use ok?
   2. how can I avoid the additional surfaces and curves to be created?
   3. which problem still exists that does not allow for the 3D mesh
   generation?

Thank you so much in advance!
Best regards,

Johannes