[Gmsh] Error when using a lot of boolean operations and gmsh crashing in complex tree-like geometry

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at uliege.be
Tue Apr 9 21:52:52 CEST 2019

> On 9 Apr 2019, at 21:00, Timo Koch <timo.koch at iws.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>
> Dear Gmsh community,

> I have a tree-like geometry, consisting of a union cylinders and spheres, and I'd like to cut it out of a box.
>
> The problem mentioned in this post in 2017 still seems to persist in Gmsh 4.2.3.
>
> I've been trying to subtract a lot of cylinders and spheres from a box geometry. It works for a small amount of cylinders but refuses to work for many geometries. The error message is simply
>
> Error   : Intersection operation cannot be performed
> Error   : 'tree.geo', line 3480 : Could not apply boolean operator
>
> I attached the geo file. Any idea what the problem is? Is there some kind of internal limit on how many geometry objects can participate in boolean operations?

It's a limitation of OpenCASCADE, which indeed still fails to perform boolean operations on some complex geometries.

I encourage you to export the geometry in the native OpenCASCADE .brep format without the boolean operation (i.e. add Save "file.brep"; before the boolean operation in the .geo file) and file a bug report with the OpenCASCADE folks describing what you want to do.

Christophe