[Gmsh] Creation of simple surface mesh

Wed May 29 15:25:29 CEST 2019

Hello,

I have an existing surface geometry, which is the Stanford bunny [1] as PLY format.

My goal is too evaluate a mapping algorithm on a non-trivial geometry. The algorithm works only on point data, therefore I don't need an triangulation.

>From the existing surface data I want to generate sampled points of various densities on the surface of the geometry and save these as a standard data format (e.g. VTK).

As I want to generate different mesh sizes, I need something like a background mesh size or a characteristic length which controls the sampling frequency. The exact placement of the points is not important, it should "make sense", i.e. be roughly equidistant or maybe influenced by the curvature.

So far I have only Merge "bun_zipper.ply"; in my .geo file.

I think you can feel, that I am very uncertain how to progress and I would be very happy for guidance!

Thanks!
Florian

[1] http://graphics.stanford.edu/pub/3Dscanrep/bunny.tar.gz