[Gmsh] [solved] SError: libmpi.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Gus Carr guscarr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 01:04:52 CEST 2019

Dear people all:
   I am a python programmer, as a useful tool at work doing research in
materials science and for the fun of it. I use gmsh by means of the
python-gmsh module (installed from repository) which implements the gmsh
API. Upon upgrading from Debian 8 (Jessie) to Debian 9 (Stretch) I came
across the following issue:

>>> import gmshpy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gmshpy/__init__.py", line 3, in
<module>
    mpi = CDLL('libmpi.so', RTLD_GLOBAL)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ctypes/__init__.py", line 362, in __init__
    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
OSError: libmpi.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

   The name of the file is now "libmpi.so.20.0.2", so after searching in
internet in vain, I decided to modify the  __init__.py file by changing the
name of the file where it appeared (in lines 3 and 8).
   I know it may not be the correct way to solve the problem but it was
successful. I needed to import gmshpy and continue working.
   Thank you very much for this invaluable and useful tool.
   Best regards to all of you.

   Gus Carr
--
Software libre = software digno